[SAC-HELP] Calculation of AZ and BAZ in SAC

Arthur Snoke snoke at vt.edu
Mon Nov 18 11:24:45 PST 2013

Fiona,

Brian May have given an adequate answer to your question, but perhaps you
are asking when one should use BAZ and when one should use AZ.  Here are a
few comments on that.

In SAC, BAZ is defined as "Station to event azimuth (degrees)", and AZ is
defined as "Event to station azimuth (degrees)."  For receiver-fuction
work, as for surface-wave analyses, BAZ is the one to use because it can
be used to transfer the NS and EW horizontal components into Radial and
Transverse -- the transformaiton should be made at the station.  For
focal-mechanism studies, AZ shoud be used, as one wants to know the
direction rays leave the source.  For practical purposes, the difference
between DOST and GCARC probably is too small to worry about, but DIST is
probably est for receiver functions.