[webservices] Beta release of ws-station, please test

Chad Trabant chad at iris.washington.edu
Mon Nov 14 13:28:27 PST 2011

Hello WS users,

The DMC is pleased to announce a BETA release of our ws-station service available here: http://www.iris.edu/wsbeta/station/

If you have written scripts or programs that access this service please test this beta release, feedback is very appreciated.

Unless issues are identified or a request is made to lengthen the beta period we plan to promote this version of the service to production (replacing the current version) on November 17th (3 days from now).  Normally we will have longer beta evaluation periods, due to the relative impact of interface changes versus issues addressed we would like to fast track this release into production.

This release will not effect users of the DMC's Fetch family of scripts.

For those that have written code against the service please note the following changes:

- Service messages and errors are returned in a DMC standard format of type "text/plain", previously error messages were returned in a custom XML structure.

- The <SelectedNumberStations> and <SelectedNumberChannels> elements are now placed correctly in the document, this should not effect parsing but the documents should now validate against the schema.

- The Query parameter shortcut "chan" is deprecated. Please use query parameter "cha" or "channel" instead to specify channel codes(s).

- Empty elements (when value is null) are not included, e.g. no empty <Gain> elements.

- All <Station> elements will be contained within <Network> elements.

- Fixed the output of duplicate <Station> and <StationEpoch> elements.

- Fixed a bug affecting virtual networks where incorrect stations were returned.

- More validation of query parameters.

- Returned document contains reference to specific schema version.

This list of changes is documented here:
http://www.iris.edu/wsbeta/doc/station_revisions.htm

regards,
IRIS DMC web services team