[webservices] stationXML and responses

Mary Templeton met at iris.washington.edu
Thu Oct 20 08:54:48 PDT 2011

On Oct 20, 2011, at 8:50 AM, Philip Crotwell wrote:

> The resp file via seismoquery for this same channel has a "polezero"
> blockette with zero poles and zeros. I suppose this is essentially the
> same as not having one at all, but seems confusing. Should either the
> docs should be changed to allow a <Response> element without a
> response inside it, or should this one should include a <PolesZeros>
> with no poles or zeros?

A pole/zero blockette with zero poles and zeros should be equivalent
to an infinitely flat unity response that will get multiplied by the B58 gain
(which would be appropriate for an A/D stage).  For what that's worth...

I've also seen this stage written with a FIR coefficient blockette (instead
of poles and zeros) with a single coefficient of 1.0.

I realize this begs the question of how the case gets handled....

--Mary