[iris-bulk] Summer Workshop on Teaching Geophysics

IRIS irismail at iris.washington.edu
Tue Jan 23 13:00:29 PST 2007

Hello!

This summer, the NSF-funded program "On the Cutting Edge" will offer
a week-long workshop on Teaching Geophysics in the 21st Century.
We've included details about the workshop at the end of this e-mail.
The application deadline is February 1, 2007.

We are looking for faculty participants who either teach an
undergraduate course in geophysics or who have expertise in
geophysics and experience in integrating geophysics concepts into
other undergraduate courses in the geoscience curriculum in a
significant way. If this is you, we hope that you will apply to
attend. We would also be grateful if you could pass this email on to
colleagues who might be interested.

The workshop will be held from August 12-15, 2007, with an optional
field trip on August 11. The tentative locale for the workshop is the
University of Michigan's Rocky Mountain Field Station in Jackson,
Wyoming.

You can find the on-line application and more information about the
workshop at http://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorkshops/geophysics07/
index.html. The application deadline is February 1, 2007. If you are
interested in attending the workshop, we hope that you will apply
early. If more qualified applicants apply for the workshop than we
have space for, we may choose to use the date of application as one
factor in determining the final workshop participant list.

Sincerely,

Workshop co-conveners Barb Tewksbury, Larry Braile, Vince Cronin,
John Geissman, Sarah Kruse, and Michael Wysession.

---

Details about the workshop:

The workshop will be a collaborative effort focused on enhancing the
teaching of geophysics concepts at the undergraduate level. This
workshop will bring together college and university faculty to
explore a wide variety of topics related to teaching geophysics
effectively both in geophysics courses and as parts of other courses
taught in the geoscience curriculum. Participants will share
exemplary laboratory and classroom activities, discuss course content
and curriculum, explore strategies for integrating geophysics
concepts and activities across the curriculum, and address issues in
teaching and learning geophysical concepts and processes.

This workshop will be patterned after the very successful workshops
on Teaching Mineralogy (1996) and Teaching Petrology (2003), Teaching
Structural Geology (2004), Teaching Hydrogeology (2005), and Teaching
Sedimentary Geology (2006). Participants will help develop an on-line
Geophysics Teaching Materials Collection and review selected items in
the collection.

Applicants for this workshop must hold a faculty teaching position at
a two- or four-year college or university and either teach a
geophysics course or have expertise in geophysics plus experience in
integrating geophysics in a significant way into other courses in the
curriculum. We welcome applications from all academic ranks. This
workshop is funded by the National Science Foundation (CCLI-ND
Program, Grant DUE-0127310), which covers the cost of meals, lodging
and workshop activities for participants from the U.S. and its
territories; travel costs to/from the workshop must be borne by the
individual or home institution.
--

-----
Barbara J. Tewksbury

voice: 315-859-4713
fax: 315-859-4807 **note change in fax number**
e-mail: btewksbu at hamilton.edu