[SAC-HELP] Transfer Function Error 2118

Fiona Darbyshire f.darbyshire at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 09:04:00 PST 2013

Cory,

My experience is that the evalresp option is very fussy about matches
between network/station/channel names between the RESP textfile and
the SAC file that you want to work on. Do a 'listhdr' on your SAC file
(checking in particular for kstnm and kcmpnm), and open your RESP file
in a text editor to compare.

If your SAC file has channel name Q and the RESP file has channel name
BHE, the transfer function is going to record that as an error and
crash. There are 2 possible quick workarounds *if appropriate for the
data*:

Either (i) edit the RESP file to replace all instances of 'BHE' by 'Q'
while you do the response transfer, then change them back again
Or (ii) change the SAC header to BHE, do the response transfer, then
change it back to Q again, e.g.
read sacfile
ch kcmpnm BHE
transfer from evalresp....
ch kcmpnm Q
w ...

However, if the response files are different between components for
this station (i.e. the parameters, not just the channel names), it
would be important to check why your component name is 'Q' rather than
'BHE' before implementing this quick-fix. Have the horizontals been
rotated?

Fiona Darbyshire.