[webservices] New ws-station revision released

Philip Crotwell crotwell at seis.sc.edu
Thu Jun 23 10:37:33 PDT 2011

Hi

I have 2 requests.

1) If the schema for a web service is going to change, please let us
know before you make the change instead of afterward. If the schema
changes, then there is a reasonable likelihood that clients will have
to be changed as well and it is much nicer if there is a little
warning given.

2) Please find a way to version the schemas you use and include that
in the XML returned from your web services. At least then a client can
tell if the schema it was coded against is different from the schema
of the returned xml. I think many places do this by putting a version
number in the URL of the schema location, so something like this could
be done for ws-station:

<StaMessage xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.data.scec.org/xml/station/1.2.3
http://www.data.scec.org/xml/station/1.2.3/station.xsd">

I think it is nice to keep old version of the schema around as well.
It is not unreasonable for someone to store metadata as a stationXML
document, and without versioning of the schema, a xml file that is
"valid" one day might become invalid the next just due to schema
upgrades. It might also be a good idea to put the version of the
server somewhere, prehaps into the <Module> or <Source> elements.

As a client writer, I am very concerned about backwards incompatible
changes that will negatively effect applications that I have released.
I am happy to see ws-station and stationXML being improved, but
stability of the schema and managing the upgrade path are important as
well.

thanks,
Philip